Custom made icons
Meaning of the Icon
- Greek Initials-for "Mother of God"
- Greek Initial for St. Michael the Archangel - who appears below, He is depicted holding the lance and gall-sop of Christ's Passion.
- Greek Initial for St.Gabriel the Archangel - who appears below He holds the Cross and the nails.
- Mary's Mouth - is small for silent recollection. She speaks little.
- Mary's Eyes- are large for all our troubles. They are turned toward us always.
- Star on Our Lady's veil-She is the Star of the Sea who brought the light of Christ to the darkened world -the star that leads us to safe port of Heaven.
- Red Tunic-the color worn by virgins at the time of Christ.
- Christ's Hands-turned palms down into His Mother's indicate that the Graces of Redemption are in her keeping.
- Mary's Left Hand-supporting Christ possessively: She is His Mother. It is a comforting hand for everyone who calls on Her.
- Dark Blue Mantle-the color worn by mothers in Palestine. Mary is both Virgin and Mother.
- The Entire Background-is golden, symbolic of Heaven where Jesus and Mary are now enthroned. The gold also shines their clothing showing the heavenly joy they can bring to tired human hearts.
- Golden Crown- placed on the original picture in 1867 as a token of the many miracles wrought by Our Lady invoked under the title of "Perpetual Help."
- Greek Initials-for "Jesus Christ"
- Foot with Falling Sandal symbolizes Christ's Divine nature, barely clinging to the earth.
His human nature is symbolized in the other Foot to which the sandal is more firmly bound.
Christ has two natures - human and Divine - in One Divine Person.